Researcher / analyst
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Great science needs great people! Are you an organised financial professional, skilled in accounting and supporting investment activities? Seize this opportunity and contribute your skills to head up the Accounting, Treasury and Transaction support team in the Pension Fund’s Operation group! CERN, take part!
You will join:
- The CERN Pension Fund, whose purpose is to insure its members from the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) and the European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere (ESO) and their families against the economic consequences of disability and old age of its members and of the death of its members and beneficiaries. The Fund currently has some 3,900 active members and 3,700 beneficiaries. Operating as a defined benefit capitalized scheme, the CERN Pension Fund's assets currently amount to approximately CHF 4.7 billion.
- The Accounting, Treasury and Transaction support section (ATT) who is responsible for the Fund’s financial reporting and supporting the internally managed investment activities.
As Head of the Accounting, Treasury and Transaction Support section you will:
- Manage a team of 4-5 people.
- Supervise the financial reporting and analysis, including the preparation of the Fund’s financial statements.
- Owner of the Fund’s accounting policies, ensuring compliance with all regulations and accounting standards (IPSAS).
- Supervise the support for investment transactions executed in the financial markets.
- Monitor the custodian's activities, including compliance with the service level agreement.
- Monitor cash requirements and prepare cash forecasts.
- Perform operational risk assessments, including establishing and maintaining robust internal controls.
- Ensure the relevant sections of the Internal Control System are up to date and reflect the key risks and mitigating controls.
- Liaise with the External Auditors.
- Be the principal contact for external bank counterparties.
- Assist the Head of Operations in the implementation and follow-up of accounting and investment related projects.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Accountancy or Finance or a related field.
Professional Accounting Qualification e.g. ACA, ACCA, CIMA, DEC, CPA or equivalent.
You have demonstrated experience in:
- Drawing up financial statements.
- Investment operations.
- Management of teams.
- Management of operational projects.
- Experience in actuarial studies would be an asset.
- Accounting control and analysis.
- Financial reporting and analysis.
- Cash management.
- Knowledge of financial markets and related instruments.
- Leading with strength and credibility: Conveying and instilling energy, enthusiasm and ownership of CERN goals. Demonstrating authority and being accountable for actions, decisions and effective functioning of the team.
- Managing self: Working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting. Taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Achieving results: Delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations. Having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Communicating effectively: Delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions. Successfully changing other people's opinions by persuasive arguments.
- Solving problems: Identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them. Finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available.
Spoken and written English and French: ability to understand and speak both languages in professional contexts as well as the ability to draft texts for publications and/ or official communications and to make oral presentations in English.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12 midday Monday 13th September 2021.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job reference: PF-OP-ATT-2021-97-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Financial Professional