Senior researcher / group leader
The Bank of Lithuania (BoL) invites applications for positions in its Visiting Researcher Program for the year 2020. The program is coordinated by the Applied Macroeconomic Research Division of the Economics Department. The Division undertakes applied research in macro, fiscal, monetary, labour and international economics with the aim of contributing to the analytical and policy functions of the Economics Department – to conduct and publish high quality research and facilitate decision making at the BoL on monetary and other economic policy issues. The Applied Macroeconomic Research Division is also responsible for building and developing macroeconomic models that are used in forecasting, scenario analysis and policy evaluations.
Structural unit: Applied Macroeconomic Research Division, Economics Department, Economics and Financial Stability Service
During their stay at the BoL, visiting researchers are expected to conduct economic research either individually or in cooperation with the BoL’s staff. The research projects will be agreed upon in advance, and their results are to be presented in BoL seminars and published as research papers in the BoL’s working paper series. Publication of the papers in refereed academic journals is strongly encouraged.
Visiting researchers will be provided with office space, access to the BoL library, available data resources and computing facilities. They will receive compensation according to the BoL’s remuneration system. The duration of stay is flexible, determined by the amount of time needed to complete the project, but it typically ranges from 3 to 6 months.
Research priorities of the program:
Proposals in all areas of economics relevant for central banks will be considered, but priority will be given to research projects on topics most aligned with the current and medium-term research priorities of Applied Macroeconomic Research Division. These include but are not limited to:
- The impact of demographics on fiscal sustainability, labor market, potential output;
- Investment and innovation in driving country’s economic growth;
- Income, wealth inequality;
- Monetary policy transmission mechanism;
- Determinants of average inflation in converging economies;
- Labour costs, firm productivity and competitiveness;
- Labor market, skill mismatch and structural unemployment;
- International economics: trade, global value chains, current account dynamics;
- Dynamic macroeconomic modeling.
Advantages of working at the BoL:
- Obtaining experience in applied economic research and participating in economic policy formation process;
- Participation in the BoL invited speaker seminars, presentations and economic conferences;
- Participation in the central bank activities and getting to know from the inside the Eurosystem central bank functions and economic policy organization;
- Working in a team of experts and professionals.
Applicants should hold a Ph.D. or be Ph.D. candidates in economics, finance or econometrics. They must be fluent in spoken and written English.
- Relevant research experience;
- Academic publications;
- Teaching experience.
Applications should be submitted in English and include the following:
- Cover letter;
- Research proposal, including:
- Research topic and main research question(s);
- Short literature review;
- Brief description of research methodology (data, software, etc.) and expected results;
- Preferred starting date and duration of the research project;
- Applicant’s CV (with a list of publications and working papers);
- Two letters of recommendation (only in the case of Ph.D. candidates and new Ph.D.’s)
- Sample research paper (if available).
Applications should be submitted by email at email@example.com (preferably in PDF format) Please indicate “BoL VRP–2020” in the subject line.
30th of March, 2020 for the visiting period April-August, 2020
30th of June, 2020 for the visiting period September 2020-March, 2021
Further information about the program can be obtained from:
Ms. Aurelija Proskute
Confidentiality guaranteed. We will only contact the selected candidates. Your personal data will be processed for the recruitment purposes only.