Master in Economic Research
No tuition fees. Stipends available.
The MA in Economic Research is a 2-year western-style program designed for students interested in applied economic research and public policy. The aim of this program is to prepare students for their careers in public policy institutions (central banks, ministries, and government advisory bodies), international organizations, think-tanks, and private sector companies. Graduates receive a Czech degree fully accredited by Charles University.
Why should you consider CERGE-EI for your graduate degree?
Rankings and International Recognition
● CERGE-EI is ranked in the top 5% of economic departments/research institutions worldwide according to Social Science Research Network (SSRN) and Research Papers in Economics (RePEc).
● CERGE-EI operates under Charles University, the oldest university in Central Europe, ranked #288 in QS World Rankings 2023 and among the top 150 universities in Economics and Econometrics in the 2022 QS World University Ranking by Subjects, Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2022 (Shanghai Ranking), and World University Rankings 2022 by Subject (Times Higher Education Ranking).
● CERGE-EI has been recognized as a Center of Excellence by both the European Union and the US government.
Faculty and Researchers
● CERGE-EI faculty members are outstanding researchers who publish widely across a broad range of fields in theoretical and applied economics. They hold PhDs from many of the worlds’ top graduate programs including Princeton University, the University of Chicago, the London School of Economics, and University College London.
● CERGE-EI faculty members work in governmental advisory boards and contribute to public policy debate. Many participate in the activities of IDEA, a CERGE-EI think-tank focusing on policy-relevant research and recommendations.
● CERGE-EI researchers have been awarded 3 grants by the European Research Council (ERC) - the most prestigious founder of excellent research in Europe.
● CERGE-EI hosts various public lectures, external presentations from IMF, OECD and more. Faculty and researchers serve as discussants at these events.
● Thanks to the small size of the institution, students are able to discuss their research interests and ideas in depth with faculty members.
● The Academic Skills Centre helps students develop their professional written and oral communication skills, and formulate the results of their economic research projects in the form of high-quality MA Thesis and high-impact presentations to specialized researchers and to the public.
● The Study Affairs Team provides students with complete personalized support, ranging from admissions support, visa and accommodation assistance, to adapting to life in Prague.
CERGE-EI graduates are employed in 40+ countries worldwide. They hold high-level positions in international organizations, including World Bank, IMF, EBRD, OECD, government ministries and central banks, think-tanks, and private sector organizations, including major banks and consulting firms. Others pursue academic careers in prestigious university departments around the world.
CERGE-EI is located in the center of Prague, a 5-minute walk from Wenceslas Square, and offers a beautiful study environment in the historical Schebek Palace with excellent facilities (Jan Kmenta Library, Digital Media Center, study areas)
Deadline: 31 March
● Completed BA degree or equivalent
● Proficiency in spoken and written English
● Quantitative skills are an advantage
● Previous coursework in economics recommended
Online Application must include:
● Curriculum vitae
● Statement of motivation
● Copies of BA/MA diplomas and complete transcripts
● Proof of English proficiency level
● Contact details for 2-3 referees
The Admissions Committee evaluates whether the applicant's background, qualifications, and professional interests sufficiently meet the requirements of the program and are in accordance with CERGE-EI’s applied-research focus.The academic year of 2023/2024 will start in October 2023.
No tuition fees. Stipends available.
Politických vězňů 7
11121 Prague , Czechia