Top Political Science PhD Programs in Europe and the United States
Although summer is just getting underway in many parts of the world, fall application season is waiting just around the corner. Whether you’re a recent graduate or a professional looking to step back into academia, finding the right PhD program is not always an easy process. For that reason, it’s important to start reviewing your options early. In a post a few months back we highlighted the global Top 20 Political Science Departments, and in this post we’d like to narrow that list to the graduate level while focusing specifically on Europe and the United States.
While there are of course many other great programs around the world, such as those at the University of Tokyoand Australian National University, we feel that the abundance of top schools in Europe and the U.S. necessitate a list of their own. Each of these programs falls within the QS Top 100 list for political science departments. The order listed below, however, reflects geographical location rather than ranking, with the European institutions preceding the American.
1) PhD in GovernmentLondon School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)London, United Kingdom
2) DPhil in PoliticsOxford UniversityOxford, United Kingdom
3) PhD in Politics and International StudiesCambridge UniversityCambridge, United Kingdom
4) PhD in Political ScienceTrinity College DublinDublin, Ireland
5) PhD in Political ScienceSciences Po ParisParis, France
6) PhD in International Relations/Political ScienceThe Graduate Institute GenevaGeneva, Switzerland
7) PhD in Political ScienceUniversity of MannheimMannheim, Germany
8) PhD in Political Science and GovernmentAarhus UniversityAarhus, Denmark
9) PhD in Political ScienceUniversity of CopenhagenCopenhagen, Denmark
10) PhD in Political ScienceLund UniversityLund, Sweden
11) PhD in Political Economy and GovernmentHarvard UniversityCambridge, Massachusetts
12) PhD in Political ScienceYale UniversityNew Haven, Connecticut
13) PhD in GovernmentCornell UniversityIthaca, New York
14) PhD in Political ScienceColumbia UniversityNew York, New York
15) PhD in PoliticsNew York University (NYU)New York, New York
16) PhD in PoliticsPrinceton UniversityPrinceton, New Jersey
17) PhD in Political ScienceGeorgetown UniversityWashington, D.C.
18) PhD in Political ScienceUniversity of California, BerkeleyBerkeley, California
19) PhD in Political ScienceStanford UniversityStanford, California
20) PhD in Political ScienceUniversity of California, San DiegoLa Jolla, California
As always, head to INOMICS to browse through these and many other PhD, Master’s, MBA and summer school programs.
Photo credit: Wesley Fryer
- Study Abroad Article
How to Find Student Accommodation in a Foreign Country
INOMICS has partnered with Uniplaces to help students find accommodation abroad. This means that on articles related to student accommodation or housing, we may make some money if a user clicks through to an affiliate link and makes a qualifying purchase.
- Professional Training
Top Professional Training Courses in Economics
Professional skills in economics include data analysis skills, developing practical solutions for complex problems, and of course knowledge of subject-specific economics concepts. For professionals working in economics, it's especially important to stay up to date with the latest developments in these rapidly-changing fields. Here is our selection of great professional economics training courses.
The Most Useful Apps for Economics Students
INOMICS takes part in the Apple affiliate program. This article contains affiliate links, which means we may earn money through any qualifying purchases made after you click through. However, this is not a sponsored post.