Partially Remote (some attendance required)
Research assistant / technician
STATEC Research a.s.b.l. is looking for a data manager for economic research to join the Research Division at STATEC, the Institut national de la statistique et des études économiques du Grand-Duché de Luxembourg.
The team at the Research Division carries out policy-oriented analysis and research in the fields of productivity, entrepreneurship and quality of life. This research is developed within international scientific networks and aims to provide support and valuable feedback to policy making.The successful candidate will acquire and prepare data from various sources for statistical and econometric analysis; merge, impute and harmonize data; help preparing findings for publications and reports; maintain codes, as well as documentation of procedures, and metadata. She/he will have the opportunity to contribute to research projects in the fields of productivity, innovation, entrepreneurship and quality of life studies. This position requires excellent quantitative and programming skills.
Main tasks/responsibilities will include:
- Prepare, maintain and update quantitative economic and statistical databases.
- Process and transform large datasets using statistical and/or econometric techniques.
- Contribute to design and implementation of surveys to compile research data sets.
- Check compliance of research output to statistical disclosure rules.
- Maintain STATA codes for data processing, as well as documentation of procedures and data sets.
- Provide assistance with the preparation of reports, manuscripts, and presentations, including performing quantitative analysis.
Candidates are expected to have a Master degree in economics, statistics, applied mathematics, or computer science. For candidates without a degree in economics, an interest in economic subjects is preferable. An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered.
Required skills are:
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English. French and/or German is an asset.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- Proficiency in software and programming languages for statistics and econometric analysis. Knowledge of STATA is a distinct advantage. Knowledge of R, Python is an asset.
- Knowledge of machine learning techniques is an asset.
- Basic understanding of statistical disclosure control (SDC) techniques and willingness to expand their competence on the topic. Experience in SDC application to research output is an asset.
- Some knowledge of the legislative framework for data analysis (such as the EU Data protection Regulation) is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, proactive, ability to work autonomously, and team player.
How to apply:
Please address enquiries about the post and applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications and enquiries should clearly state the Reference ASBL/2021-01.
The closing date for application is the 16th of May 2021. To apply, a cover letter, full CV, name of one referee, and diploma transcript should be sent by email. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview in the second week of June.
All candidates will be contacted with the outcome of their application. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide feedback to those applicants who are not shortlisted. We would like to thank all candidates for their application and interest.
The starting date is the 1st of July 2021, or as soon as possible thereafter.
Your personal data, included in your application documents or obtained during the interview, will be processed exclusively for the purposes of the selection process for the advertised position and in accordance with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).