MSc in Economics
The MSc in Economics is a full-time, two-year Program, fully taught in English. It is designed for students who wish to obtain a rigorous, in-depth education in economic theory and policy at the graduate level, to prepare a successful career as professional economists working for central banks, the banking industry, government institutions, and international organizations or as economic advisors and financial consultants. It also provides a rigorous preparation for students who wish to advance to a PhD program.
7 Reasons for Choosing the Master in Economics at Iscte Business School
1. Don’t miss the opportunity of being part of one of the most reputed Economics programs in Europe
- Ranked 35th in its category, among the Top 200 Best Masters Programmes, in Western Europe in 2018/2019 (Eduniversal Ranking)
2. Learn from the best methodologies and software
- Interact regularly with reputed practitioners who will offer their vision and experience in a series of workshops aimed at discussing and analyzing economics topics;
- You will be challenged to understand complex current and future economic issues that affect everyone’s livelihood;
- You will build the skills needed to contribute to economic debates and policy choices;
- You will learn to handle advanced modeling techniques and use computational software which is integrated into regular classes (for example PYTHON, R, STATA);
- You will have access to a set of comprehensive databases that will support you on your thesis and research.
3. Benefit from a reputed faculty, with an engaging learning style
- The faculty of Iscte Business School has authored more than 100 books in different management disciplines, many of which are now required reading at other Portuguese universities;
- There is a close working relationship between students and faculty and students benefit from weekly contact hours, continual email contact and a sustained relationship with the faculty throughout their professional lives;
- Both semesters in the first year provide solid foundations in the core subjects (microeconomics, macroeconomics and econometrics) and equip you with the tools of economic analysis while allowing the choice of 3 electives in the field of Economics and other related areas, such as Economics of Banking and Financial Markets, Monetary Theory and Policy, Applied Economic Modelling or Computation for Economics and Business.
4. Thrive in a welcoming culture where personal development and creativity are encouraged
- Participate on the personal development programme (PdP) that enables students to discover their leadership qualities and creativity;
- The welcome week allows you to engage in networking, team-building and idea-sharing from day one of the course. This spirit is reinforced year-round with a host of other activities;
- Mentoring program - with their mentors, students have the opportunity to discuss their academic progress and career prospects, and benefit from their recognized professional experience;
5. See your merit recognized and rewarded throughout the program
- Award for the best MSc in Economics Student (sponsored by Ernst & Young)
- Award for the best candidates
6. A truly international outlook
- Study trip to Frankfurt, which encompasses an academic institution and the European Central Bank;
- Possibility of doing a Double Degree - it allows students to graduate with two diplomas from two Universities (Iscte and a partner university). For the Msc in Economics, the partner universities are Warsaw University in Poland (AMBA accredited) and Southwestern University of Finance and Economics in China (EQUIS accredited)
- Possibility of doing an exchange / Erasmus program with our partner universities.
7. Get excited with the program’s career prospects
- Our career services will support you with counselling, access to opportunities, the IBS Career Forum and presentations in class by companies;
- Professional placements for MSc in Economics graduates are excellent, as this degree gives you access to most job opportunities that arise in economics, finance and management - employment rate of 100% up to 12 months after completion of the Programme;
- The sectors most represented in the recruit of master's graduates are Audit & Consulting, Banking, Large Distribution & Retail and Telecommunications;
- Close contact with a large pool of successful alumni now working for high-profile national and international companies.
Application Process 2020/2021
The Master in Economics is designed for high-caliber graduate students and taught exclusively in English, in an international and multicultural atmosphere, therefore candidates must show evidence of a completed Bachelor degree as well as proficiency in the English language.
Applications are exclusively submitted online, on Iscte’s website. Several information will be required for applicants to type in, namely Personal Information, information about Education and also Working Experience. Candidates will have to upload some Documents as well:
- Diploma/Transcript of Records from the bachelor's degree awarded by a university or institution of higher education;
- ID card/Passport
- Proficiency in the English language (optional);
- The results of GMAT or GRE exam (optional)
Candidates still concluding their undergraduate degree must also add:
- Declaration of Commitment (download available on application form)
- Transcript of Records with current grading
Selections are made on a rolling basis from the moment the application period opens. We therefore encourage early applications. Currently, the 5th application round is open from April 27 to June 14, 2021.
- See why you should enrol in our MSc Programme! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRibf9UwFQY
- Student Testimony - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-33gPgAJy4
Would you like to know more?
Check all the information available at our website regarding the MSc in Economics and get in touch with your Program Manager!
Tel.:(+351) 210 464 211