- Ph. D. in Management – Department of Management, Kochi (DOMK)
The Department of Management, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Kochi, Kerala, was established in 2009. This institution has been accredited ‘A’ by NAAC and is AICTE approved. The Department of Management, Kochi (DOMK) offers Postgraduate and PhD programs in Management in all the major domains of management. The school is strategically located in the internationally renowned health care campus of the university, the Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre (AIMS).
DOMK provides a plethora of opportunities to conduct collaborative research programmes. Many faculty members of the department are trained in renowned universities in India and abroad and are engaged in many research activities including being principal advisors of research projects, reviewer of international peer reviewed journals, consultancy assignments, serving as resource persons and external examiners for doctoral work etc.
The research orientation of the department has produced many publications in journals of international repute. The department actively participate in collaborations offering interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary research programmes. Such as engaging in the design and delivery of courses for the Master of Public Health (MPH) programme offered by the Department of Community Medicine of AIMS and in developing joint research projects.
A doctoral program helps in enhancing the research capabilities of budding scholars and will help in imparting a fresh look for practitioners who wish to broaden their strategic decision making skills. The department has demonstrated capability in guiding scholars across multiple areas of specialization such as
- Management Strategy
About the Ph.D. Program @ DOMK
The Doctor of Philosophy in Management, which will be a research degree, offered at DOMK, is designed to stimulate the inquisitive nature of candidates in their pursuit for new insights into the management domain. The programme is structured to allow students adequate flexibility to quench their intellectual curiosity. The broad aim of the programme is:
1) To equip the candidates with the necessary skills that enhance scholarship leading to socially impactful research
2) To enable them to think about alternate causal configuration in a given area of study and to excel in diverse institutional settings, such as universities, industry and think tanks
3) To expose them to the vast volume of knowledge which remains underutilized in the management domain and to aid them in disseminating knowledge to others, inside or outside the classroom, in an effective manner.
The courses offered at the preliminary stage of the programme will make the scholars capable of producing good quality research. The requirements of the proposed programme will be followed as per the guidelines specified by the Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham as well as the Faculty of Management. In the initial years, the Department will introduce Ph.D. Level courses (both in full time and part-time mode) that will be offered by Department faculty as appended in the following sections. The maximum number of candidates to be admitted would depend on the seats available, faculty interest and the availability of fellowship.
These courses are designed to create interest among doctoral students in areas such as Economics, Finance, Organizational Behaviour, Human Resource Management, Health Care Management, Marketing, and Decision Sciences. The Doctoral candidates will have the flexibility of identifying and attending courses offered in other campuses of the Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham in their research area.
The applicant should possess:
- Masters degree in Arts, Science or Management or a Postgraduate diploma in Management (recognized by either the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) or the All-India Council on Technical Education (AICTE) as equivalent to a MBA), or any degree equivalent, with 60% marks.
- Recognized professional degrees such as CA, AICWA, or ACS or its equivalent, with 55% marks.
- Work experience of at least two years either in industry or academics (Part Time).
- Candidates without a Postgraduate Degree or Diploma in Management from a recognized institution or University, if selected, have to undergo additional one year of coursework in the line of First Year MBA Program of DOMK.
- Some of the courses may be waived for select scholars based on their Masters Degree. This, however, is under the discretion of Committee on Postgraduate Program (CPGP), chaired by PGP Chairperson.
Department of Management, Kochi follows a rigorous yet friendly process for Ph.D. We follow a phase-wise admission depending on the categories,
- Full time with scholarship
|Application Form open up to August 14, 2019.|
Entrance Test and Interview
The applications will be screened by the Committee on Postgraduate Programmes (CPGP) and shortlisted applicants will be called for an entrance test followed by an interview. Admission will be based on performance in the written test and personal interview. Both the written exam and the interview are usually conducted on the same day and the results are usually announced within a month time.
- Application form duly filled in all aspects,
- His or her degree certificates and grade / mark sheets (self-attested copies),
- A Statement of Purpose (describing his or her research interests), and up to three areas of interest in the order of preference for selecting the major area courses for the Ph.D. Should it be required, the Committee may request additional evidence, such as letters of recommendation, copies of claimed publications, etc.
- A Demand Draft for INR 1000 towards Registration fee, in favour of “Amrita School of Business", payable at Kochi.
How to Apply
All the aforementioned documents are to be sent as a soft copy via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by and as a hard copy to the address of correspondence given below under Contact Us, latest by the 18th of August 2019.
Should there be any further query, please feel free to write to us, by clearly mentioning the nature of your query on the subject line.
|Full Time No Scholarship*^|
|2nd to 6th installments: INR 60,000/- each term||-|
- * One time refundable caution fee of Rs. 7,500 and Rs. 1000 as Admission fee is to be paid along with the initial fee for full time scholars.
- ^ Full time scholars with scholarship are required to publish 2 journal articles for every year of the scholarship. The performance of scholars is gauged every six months and the decision to renew the scholarship is taken by University PGP committee on an annual basis.
The Ph.D. program at DOMK is structured along globally acknowledged processes. There are 4 significant milestones to be covered as part of the program. These four stages can be completed in a minimum of 3 years and a maximum of 8 years. While the part-time scholars are allowed up to a maximum of 8 years to complete their Ph.D, the full-time PhD program requires the scholars to focus on their research and aim to complete their Ph.Ds. in a maximum of 4 years.
Stage 1: Course Work
All scholars are required to undertake 8 courses of which 4 are core and the rest are electives. The course work is structured over two terms in a year. While the winter term is during December 26th and January 25th, the summer term is between May 21st and June 20th. These dates are fixed to allow scholars plan their leave in advance and be present in campus. In general, a scholar can aim to complete 3 courses in a term. Below is reproduced the winter and summer terms of recent two terms.
Winter Term (December 26, 2019- January 25, 2020)
In addition, the scholars are exposed to a variety of thought provoking workshops and conferences by distinguished faculty from across the Globe.
Stage 2: Comprehensive Qualifying Exam
After completion of a minimum of 8 courses, the scholars would move to the second stage of their Ph.D which includes formation of a dissertation committee and writing their comprehensive qualification exam (CQE). The CQE is a 1-month take home exam, which seeks to test the readiness of scholars to take up their thesis research and is designed to assist scholars in narrowing the focus of research. The written exam is followed by an oral viva by the committee members.
Stage 3: Proposal Defense
The 3rd stage is the proposal defense where the scholars are expected to defend their thesis proposal in an open forum and a special invited external examiner. Subsequent to the successful defense, the scholar can focus on executing their research with constant support from the dissertation committee.
Stage 4: Thesis Submission & Defense
This is the final stage of the Ph.D wherein the scholar would defend his/her dissertation in an open forum and a special invited external examiner. In the interim period, scholars are required to demonstrate their ability through successful journal publications.