Each year ERIM initiates and starts a substantial number of new and internationally oriented PhD research projects. The focus is on pioneering and innovative research in the field of Management and Business Research.
ERIM distinguishes five areas of research in management and offers fully funded PhD research projects in the following fields: Business Processes, Logistics and Information Systems (LIS), Organisation Marketing (MKT), Finance & Accounting and Strategy & Entrepreneurship (S&E)
Staunchly multidisciplinary, ERIM’s Strategy and Entrepreneurship programme focuses on strategic renewal and firm performance and how the drivers of both can bring about purposeful change within organisations.
The programme is divided into four research themes: corporate governance and competitiveness, entrepreneurship, global strategy, and new managerial roles & organisational forms. Although each draws on its own methodological traditions, faculty members necessarily apply a wide range of methods and frequently rely on meta-analysis, event history modelling, fs/QCA, and ethnographic observations.
ERIM currently offers following PhD projects within its S&E research programme:
- Research in Management within the Erasmus Initiative “Dynamics of Inclusive Prosperity”
- From start-up to scale-up: a multilevel framework on regional- and firm-level aspects that drive fast growth
- Leading fast Growth: A multi-level process framework of the managerial capabilities and behaviours that support fast-growth under uncertainty
- Re-inventing business models: How firms cope with disruption
- PhD in Strategic Management & Entrepreneurship
For a list and detailed description of all current ERIM PhD Vacancies, please visit ERIM website.
More information about ERIM PhD in Management programme can be found on www.erim.eur.nl/phd.
To be considered for a PhD position in Management at ERIM, candidates are expected to have:
- MSc, MA or MPhil degree in business or economics, or from related fields such as psychology, sociology, engineering, mathematics, etc. (depending on PhD project)
- Excellent results in their first degree/graduate study.
- Explicit interest in and motivation for scientific research.
- A GMAT or GRE test is required for all entering students. The test results should not be older than five years and an indication of the required score is 85%.
- TOEFL or IELTS test results; ERIM requires a TOEFL score of at least 100 on the internet based test and 600 on the paper based test. For IELTS there is a minimum score of 7.5. The language test results should not be older than two years.
- In addition to these formal requirements, candidates for the Programme are selected on the basis of their CVs, academic references, and interview(s) with the potential supervisor(s)
Conditions of employment
Our PhD projects are fully funded and salaried positions, meaning that appointed PhD candidates are employees (promovendus) of Erasmus University Rotterdam. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO-NU). Starting monthly salary is € 2325 in year 1, € 2709 in year 2, € 2835 in year 3, and € 2972 in the fourth year (all mentioned figures are gross and fixed amounts). The conditions of employment comply with the collective labour agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU). Erasmus University has attractive employment conditions, which include a holiday allowance of 8 per cent, an end-of-year bonus of 8.3 per cent, and a generous number of vacation days.
Successful candidates are appointed on a full-time basis for a duration of 4 years (or 3 years in case the candidate possesses a relevant research master’s degree), with a possibility of an additional extension in case of excellent performance. Preferred starting date of the PhD appointment is 1st September 2019.
Furthermore, PhD candidates also benefit from the state-of-the- art research facilities and financial support programme (ERIM Support Programmes - ESP), which ERIM set up for a wide range of research-related activities like conference participation and visit, international job market visit, external courses, scientific and educational literature, working visit to international supervisor, international research study/visit, etc.
Additional information can be obtained from:
ERIM Doctoral Office
Tel: +31 (0) 10 408 2382
Organisation / Department
ERIM is the research institute of management at Erasmus University Rotterdam, founded by Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University (RSM) and Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), both of which excel in their research and teaching programmes. The level and international character of their research and teaching programmes has put both schools at the forefront of academic excellence. They offer a diversified portfolio of accredited teaching and research programmes, ranging from pre-experience MSc to postgraduate Masters and executive development, and from fundamental research to applied research and business support, which are renowned throughout the world. RSM is one of the few schools worldwide that holds a triple accreditation from the AMBAs, EQUIS and the AASCB, and is positioned among the top European business schools. The scientific staff of both schools plays a major role in the schools’ interaction with the international business community.
ERIM distinguishes itself by high level and international character of its research and has repeatedly been ranked among top 3 research institutes in Europe. ERIM’s key aims are top quality academic research with impact both on academia and managerial practice, and the advancement of international academic careers and high-level support for both research and doctoral education. For more information about ERIM please visit www.erim.eur.nl.
Rotterdam , Netherlands