School of Economics Research Scholarships 2022
The School of Economics at the University of Kent has a thriving research community that you can be part of. Our staff produce world-class research, publish regularly in leading academic journals and foster generative research partnerships around the world. Our active research centres and groups reflect their vast expertise, and the latest updates are shared on our School’s news page. Our four-year PhD programmes provide a supportive and structured environment in which to develop the economic research skills that will enable you to make an original contribution to economic knowledge.
We are inviting applications for a number of research scholarships to commence in September 2022. These are Division of Human and Social Sciences Research Scholarships, also known as Graduate Teaching Assistantships (GTAs), for PhD applicants only.
PhD Programmes in Economics
Agri-Environmental Economics PhD
Division of Human and Social Sciences Research Scholarships (Graduate Teaching Assistantships)
Awardees of such hold a unique position in the University; they are both registered PhD students in receipt of a scholarship and employees of the University. The scholarships cover tuition fees (International, EU or UK) plus a combined maintenance grant and salary, equivalent to the Research Councils UK National Minimum Doctoral Stipend. They will be offered for one year in the first instance, renewable for a maximum of four years subject to satisfactory academic performance.
Please note that students who have already started their PhD are not eligible for this scholarship.
How to Apply
All completed applications must be received by 23:59 (UK time) on 9 February 2022. Previous applicants need not apply again.
Completed applications must comprise all of the following:
- Submission of a KentVision application, made via the online prospectus, for a PhD place in the School of Economics at the University of Kent including:
- A transcript of degree undergraduate and postgraduate marks to date and certificate, if completed, in pdf format
- The name and email address of two academic referees. Please leave a suitable amount of time for your referees to respond to the reference request which is sent automatically upon submission of the PhD application in KentVision. References must also be received by 23:59 (UK time) on 9 February 2022.
- A current CV in pdf format
- Submission of a completed Application form for PhD Scholarships (including a research proposal) in pdf format. This form should be emailed directly to the HSS Admissions Team at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘School of Economics Research Scholarships 2022’.
Please note that the PhD application form in KentVision includes fields and word count guidelines that are not specific to consideration for this competition so please ensure that you follow the procedures listed above. In fields such as ‘Reasons for study’ and ‘Research proposal’ you are welcome to write ‘See Division of Human and Social Sciences Research Scholarships Competition 2022 Application Form’ etc.
Shortlisting and Interviews
The shortlisting process will start from 10 February 2022 and interviews will be held virtually from 21 February 2022. Shortlisted candidates will be required to present their proposal using visual aids (ie Powerpoint presentation slides) at interview.
To be considered for the scholarships, applicants must hold:
- an Honours degree (First or 2:1)
- a Master’s degree (merit or distinction) from recognised institutions, with first-class marks in research dissertations and research methods (if available).
- All candidates must have at least two supportive academic references
- Applicants must also provide evidence that they satisfy the University’s minimum English language requirements.
University of Kent
CT2 7NZ Canterbury , United Kingdom