Navigation Job ID: 21030
The Department of Alumni Programs and Services within the Office of Advancement is currently seeking a Full-timeTemporary Relief Alumni Program Coordinator for approximately 6 months.
Reporting to the Director, Alumni Programs & Services, the Alumni Program Coordinator is a key member of the Programs and Services team and plays a vital role in planning and executing alumni programs and events. The Alumni Program Coordinator collaborates closely with program specialists and managers across the team, providing input and insight into the event planning and execution process at all stages and taking a lead role in the execution of in-person alumni events and programs.They will help to ensure a high-quality, meaningful, and alumni-centric experience at all UCalgary Alumni programs and events. Alumni programming and events at the University of Calgary engage alumni: in the intellectual riches of the university, provide opportunities for alumni to network and grow personally and professionally; and those that foster pride, spirit and tradition. Alumni programs and events may be in-person or digital. The Alumni Program Coordinator will also assist with general administrative duties supporting the Director, Alumni Programs and Services. This is a fast-moving, results-oriented team focused on creating sincere, valuable relationships between the University of Calgary and our alumni community. Time management, creativity, strong writing skills and attention to detail are key factors contributing towards the success of this position. Being a team player with a positive attitude and flexibility are also necessary attributes.Hours of employment for this position are standard however some evening and weekend work is required.
Program and Event Support 70%
- Lead all event logistics for UCalgary Alumni programs and events from coordination to implementation and execution
- Act as an ongoing resource to the Alumni Program officers on issues pertaining to event planning and execution, and provide advice on organizing and delivering events
- In collaboration with the program manager, prepare comprehensive event plans to support overall program plans
- Taking initiative to proactively address and provide solutions to potential roadblocks and problems relating to alumni events
- Source and negotiate services with vendors as required (entertainment, AV, catering, etc.)
- Assist with the direction of staff and volunteer support during set-up, in-event, and post-event requirements; manage in-event vendors
- Oversee printing and delivery of all materials, signage and supplies for events
- Assist as required with invitation lists, including registration and rsvp process
- Work with the event manager in post-event debrief process
- Effectively support all members of the Programs and Services team, as appropriate
- Communicate openly with all team members and stakeholders to ensure effective planning, problem solving and ongoing relationships
- Model alumni-centric approach in all event planning activities
Administrative Support 30%
- In partnership with program managers, update and monitor program budgets
- Provide administrative support to the Director including expense reports, meeting bookings etc. and team members, as required
- Schedule recurring team meetings and distribute supporting documents to team members and other stakeholders, as appropriate including meeting agendas, action items etc.
- Provide administrative support for the various University of Calgary Alumni Association committees, including meeting booking and logistics, and other related duties
- General office administration including monitoring the alumni email account and main phone line and responding as needed to alumni and customer requests
- Providing front-line customer service to alumni and stakeholders who visit the Alumni Office
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Experience in event planning and management or a related field is an asset
- Minimum 3-5 years of recent relevant experience
- Knowledge of community or alumni relations programming, budgeting and reporting practices and processes
- Demonstrated strong communication, team and customer service skills, and an ability to exercise good judgement within established guidelines
- Strong organisational and time management skills, and attention to detail and accuracy is a must
- Open to learning and development, and willing to accept new challenges and assignments
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Sound computer, database and administrative skills
- Solid decision-making skills and the ability to work in a team and independently
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required; must be flexible
Application Deadline: August 12, 2020
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Specialist/Advisor Job Family, Phase II.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.