At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
You will join the software development for experiments (SFT) group (http://ep-dep-sft.web.cern.ch) which develops and provides support for scientific software for the High Energy Physics experiment collaborations at CERN and worldwide. The group is hosting the team supporting and developing ROOT (https://root.cern), used to store, statistically analyse, and visualize scientific data in High Energy Physics.
This position will ensure maintenance and evolution of RDataFrame, the ROOT component used by physicists to define their analysis with a high level of abstraction, in its multi-threaded and multi-process versions, with interfaces and implementation in C++ and Python. The position requires regular interaction with physicists, experiments' physics groups, and attendance of related conferences and workshops to disseminate development news and solicit feedback on released and planned features.
- Drive the support, maintenance, and enhancement of RDataFrame according to the needs of the stakeholders community, including exploring, validating, and harnessing new technologies which could improve efficiency and ergonomics
- Organize the development agenda of the data analytics part of ROOT, including constant coordination with ROOT's I/O and statistics experts.
- Organize technical meetings within and outside the ROOT project
- Take part in the overall project organization, such as the plan of work, arranging for workshops, and representing the project and its vision.
- Engage with ROOT’s worldwide user community, foster collaboration and external contributions, and organize support channels.
- Supervise and coordinate tasks relevant to the ROOT project.
PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Computer Science or a related field.
- Demonstrated understanding of the most relevant technical aspects of High Energy Physics analysis, including computational efficiency (CPU and I/O, measurement and interpretation).
- Demonstrated experience in high-performance software development, including task prioritization, and customer interaction
- Proven mastering of performance and memory profiling technologies and debugging techniques.
- Demonstrated understanding of the data analytics requirements for machine learning applications will be considered an advantage.
- Proven track record of scientific publications and high-level communication (for instance through invited conference presentations).
- Experience in supervision and managing of external contributors will be considered an advantage.
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: demonstrated excellent knowledge of C++ and Python.
- Development of application software.
- Knowledge and application of software life-cycle tools and procedures: demonstrated knowledge of state-of-the-art software build and deployment tools.
- Testing, diagnosing and optimization of software.
- Conceptualising, designing and developing user experiences and interfaces.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind; delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Solving problems: recognizing what is essential; discriminating between important and peripheral information and being able to see the whole picture; being open to original ideas and creative options by which to address issues; continually driving change by seeking new ways to improve outcomes.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Communicating effectively: delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions; successfully changing other people's opinions by persuasive arguments; demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively.
- English: ability to understand and speak the language in professional contexts, draw-up scientific reports and make oral presentations.
- French: basic knowledge would be an asset or willingness to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 11.10.2023
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EP-SFT-2023-121-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Engineer