MBA (Master of Business Administration)
The University of South Wales' Master of Business Administration (MBA) will develop the knowledge and skills to be a successful strategic business leader.
It builds on a strong ethos of helping managers to solve real problems, and is designed for professionals who will make a strategic difference to the organisations in which they operate.
Whether you work in a public or private sector organisation, you will learn how to integrate cutting-edge research and practice across all key business areas to achieve business transformation.
During the MBA you will develop key leadership skills such as creativity, innovation, collaboration and problem solving and be introduced to innovative business theory in a practical context.
There are also MBA pathways available in marketing, human resource management and public service management, so you can specialise in a particular area which will lead to a named MBA award.
The University is host to a vibrant, multicultural environment that provides an excellent opportunity for you to gain an international perspective on business and different cultures and practices.
- Leadership and Management Theories Develop your knowledge and understanding of a range of leadership and management theories and their contemporary application in a range of organisational settings.
- Strategic Financial Management Gain an understanding of the issues and techniques of strategic financial management from both an internal and external stakeholder viewpoint.
- Strategic Analysis Tools and Techniques Evaluate the strategic environment of an organisation; internally and externally. Also gain the skills to direct and manage the development of business and corporate strategy in the contexts of complexity and change.
- Strategic Systems Thinking Go beyond the study of theory and become an active participant in a debate that is at the leading edge of strategic thinking and practice. On completion of this module you will be able to contribute to strategic thinking within an organisational setting.
- Strategic Marketing Understand and critically evaluate how strategic marketing interfaces with general business strategy. In addition, appraise the difference between good strategic marketing practice and practice that falls short of professional quality.
- Strategic Operations Management Gain an appreciation of operational processes, techniques, planning and control systems with reference to both manufacturing and service industries from a qualitative and quantitative perspective.
- Research Methods Conduct a proper scientific investigation and present it in a written format. This will develop your understanding and research skills in a management and/or professional development context.
- Management Project Explore the concept, theories and practice of project management and consultancy skills whilst building on the research methodological skills and requirements of critical debate established throughout the programme. Learn how these key skills are vital within a business context to ensure rigorous decision making.
Taught sessions are delivered through self-guided study, lectures, seminars, group work, case studies and exercises. You will have the opportunity to strategically analyse organisations, deliver presentations and prepare marketing and business plans.
Alongside your MBA studies, you will also be part of a study visit to see first-hand how different companies operate. You are also encouraged to attend the many guest lectures organised by the Business School, to broaden your understanding of important subject areas.
The MBA qualification assessed through written assignments, presentations and project work. The MBA involves the completion of a business research project which will develop your communication and consulting skills.
A minimum 2:2 Honours degree from a UK university, or recognised international equivalent qualification.
The course welcomes international applicants and requires an English level of IELTS 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in each component or equivalent.
Find out how to pay your tuition fees in full or by payment plan.
This course is eligible under the Enhanced Learning Credits scheme for Ex-Armed Forces personnel.
International Scholarships are available for self-funding international students.
August 2018 - July 2019 Fees
- Full-time UK and EU: £7000
Please note the full-time UK and EU fee is £10000, however USW is offering a full-time UK and EU bursary of £3000 which means students pay £7000
- Full-time International: £13300
- Full-time UK and EU: TBC
- Full-time International: TBC
Students have access to a wide range of resources including textbooks, publications, and computers in the University’s library and via online resources. In most cases they are more than sufficient to complete a course of study. Where there are additional costs, either obligatory or optional, these are detailed below. Of course students may choose to purchase their own additional personal resources/tools over and above those listed to support their studies at their own expense. All stationery and printing costs are at a student’s own expense.
|£100||Cost of the Study Tour Trip is free, but students will be expected to pay for normal expenses whilst away e.g. lunch, evening meals, social activities, etc. Approximately £100.|
|Additional assessment or membership||£250||Students on this course may be able to obtain the ILM Level 7 Diploma in Leadership and Management (subject to meeting the ILM's requirements). Students wishing to do this will be charged £250 (price correct at time of writing).|
The Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol Masters Scholarship is worth £3000 over the year, and is available to students who intend to study at least 60 credits of this degree through the medium of Welsh.
£3,000 dros gyfnod o flwyddyn yw gwerth Ysgoloriaeth Meistr y Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol, sydd ar gael i fyfyrwyr sy’n bwriadu astudio o leiaf 60 credyd o’r cwrs gradd hwn drwy gyfrwng y Gymraeg.
Employability is at the heart of this MBA, and we aim to ensure that our students are innovative, creative and entrepreneurial, which helps make our graduates employable across the globe.
This demanding and dynamic MBA course is designed for those looking to take their career to the next level. It will help you develop the knowledge and skills to be a successful strategic business leader and equip you with an insight into the business practices you will need for a future in an ever changing global environment.
Developed in close consultation with a range of employers who have contributed significantly to making our graduates more effective in the workplace, the University of South Wales MBA is recognised globally as a qualification due to its relevance within the world of work. The completion of a management project gives you the chance to showcase your knowledge and analytical skills that are essential to top employers.
The Pontypridd Campus is made up of two sites: Treforest and Glyntaff. Our students love the community atmosphere, as well as living and studying in the same place. It’s quieter than the cities, with green open spaces and views across the valley.