Top Think Tanks and Social Science Research Institutes in Europe 2013
Read a summary or generate practice questions using the INOMICS AI tool
Whether you’re looking for a summer internship, your first postgraduate job or a change in career, gaining experience in a think tank or research institute is always a good way to go. While some think tanks engage in highly specialized research on specific topics, many span a broad range of issues, particularly in the fields of politics, economics and international relations. We’ve decided to dedicate three distinct blog posts to top think tanks around the world, beginning with this list of European institutions. Keep an eye out for upcoming posts on U.S. and Latin American institutions.
In addition to offering possible job opportunities, the work currently undertaken by these top-notch research institutes can be extremely helpful for students and professionals alike. Often think tanks produce the kind of poignant, up-to-date research not to be found in either mass media or peer-reviewed journals.
As with most of our lists, this is by no means an exhaustive account of all the praiseworthy institutes across Europe. We aim to offer a compact yet diverse list of well-renowned institutions from across the continent, arranged alphabetically by country rather than according to any kind of ranking.
- Center for Applied Political Research, Austria
- Bruegel, Belgium
- Centre for European Policy Studies, Belgium
- Egmont Institute, Belgium
- European Policy Centre, Belgium
- Danish Institute for International Studies, Denmark
- European Union Institute for Security Studies, France
- French Institute for International Relations
- German Council on Foreign Relations (DGAP), Germany
- German Institute for International and Security Affairs (Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik (SWP)), Germany
- Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), Ireland
- Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis (RCEA), Italy
- Peace Research Institute of Oslo (PRIO), Norway
- Institute of World Economy and International Relations, Russia
- Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), Sweden
- Turkish Economic and Social Studies Foundation (TESEV), Turkey
- The Global Policy Institute, UK
- Chatham House, UK
- International Institute for Strategic Studies, UK
- European Council on Foreign Relations, UK
To take a look at the many other institutions with jobs, conferences and other listings on offer, head to the INOMICS website here. Additionally, please share your experiences with others by leaving a review on theINOMICS website for any institute where you have worked, studied or interned!
Photo credit: Andrea Ciambra
- All You Need to Know
What makes a successful economist?
“The master-economist must possess a rare combination of gifts. He must reach a high standard in several different directions and must combine talents not often found together. He must be mathematician, historian, statesman, philosopher…He must study the present in the light of the past for the purposes of the future. No part of man's nature or his institutions must lie entirely outside his regard. He must be purposeful and disinterested in a simultaneous mood; as aloof and incorruptible as an artist, yet sometimes as near the earth as a politician.”
- INOMICS Recommendations
Top Summer Schools in Economics 2024
Whether you want to learn about a new topic, to brush up on your skills, or to meet more people in your economics field, summer schools are an ideal opportunity for you. Many reputable universities run intensive but stimulating summer courses that give students the chance to increase their academic standing.
- INOMICS Salary Report
Is an Economics PhD Worth It? The PhD Pay Premium
Economics students may often wonder if doing a PhD is the right move for them. After all, you can still get a good job in economics with just a Master’s degree. We’ve covered different angles of this topic before with helpful advice about what degree you’ll need as an economist, asking whether you should do a PhD, and even asking what kinds of economists are paid the most. Thanks to INOMICS Salary Report 2023 data, we can look more closely at the pay benefit for an economics PhD in today’s job market. This will help you decide if doing an economics PhD will be worth it for your own career.