Central European University
Developing a first research project is an exciting yet daunting task. While there are many venues for established researchers to present and discuss their work, students working on their first projects have few such opportunities. And for undergraduate students who are just starting to think about possible research ideas, the opportunities to interact with research-active peers are even fewer.
The purpose of this conference is to bring together students at initial stages of their research careers. We invite graduate and advanced undergraduate students who just finished their first projects in any area of economics to present their work and exchange feedback. We also welcome 2nd- and 3rd-year undergraduate students with strong interest in research who do not have own projects but would like to experience what research in economics is about and brainstorm new ideas together. The conference is organized annually on the campus of CEU in Vienna. The next meeting of the conference will take place in August 23-25, 2023.
- The language of the conference is English
- All applications should be submitted via the application form.
- At the time of application, please indicate if you would like to present your own project or serve as a discussant
- Application deadline: April 30. Successful applicants will be notified by May 15.
- Late submissions will be considered on a case-by-case basis
- Students who wish to present their projects must be enrolled in an undergraduate or a masters-level program at the time of application. First- and second-year PhD students are also welcome to apply
- At the time of application, presenters should submit a research proposal or an abstract of their work
- Submitted work should be based on independent research
- Proposals should not exceed 250 words
- Successful applicants will have to submit papers by the middle of July. A paper should be at most 40 pages long
- At the conference, participants will have 15-20 minutes to summarize their papers
- Students who wish to serve as discussants must be enrolled in an undegraduate/BA program at the time of application
- Junior students will have the priority. Students in their final year of studies are encouraged to present rather than discuss
- At the time of application, discussants should submit a short statement.
- The statement should explain the motivation to participate in the conference and describe the main field of research interests
- Applicants who have specific research plans are encouraged to outline their future projects in the above statement
A fee of 50 EUR applies to all accepted participants. The fee will be used to cover:
- Two nights of accommodation in Vienna
- 48-hour public transport pass
- Breakfast and coffee breaks
The fee is reduced to EUR 20 for local students who do not need accommodation. The fee is waived to students affected by the war in Ukraine.
Pre-approved travel expenses may be reimbursed to the participants. The funding will be allocated on the competitive basis. Accepted participants seeking reimbursement should contact the organizers to confirm if their expenses qualify.
For inquiries, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1100 Vienna , Austria