Research assistant / technician
Under the supervision of the DRM focal points, the Research Assistant will perform the following duties:
- Support Research Fellows and Associates at UNU-WIDER under its DRM programme, which covers activities related to research, training, and capacity building.
- In the (i) ‘Building up efficient and fair tax systems’ work stream, organize administrative tax data jointly with the research team at UNU-WIDER and developing country partners, assist researchers in conducting econometric analysis, write literature reviews on relevant topics, and produce technical notes related to the data.
- In the (ii) ‘SOUTHMOD’ work stream, support the development and enhanced use of tax-benefit microsimulation models for policy analysis, including data collection and preparation tasks, assistance with workshops and training events, support for the development of online training tools, writing literature reviews and technical notes on relevant topics, and assisting researchers in conducting analysis.
- Prepare papers for the UNU-WIDER Working Paper Series, and any subsequent journal or book publications.
- Participate in selected UNU-WIDER conferences, seminars, and workshops.
- Other duties as requested by the supervisor related to the research work of UNU-WIDER.
Required qualifications and experience
- A master’s degree with strong analytical and quantitative skills in economics or related field. Persons such as final-year students who are close to obtaining their master’s degree will also be considered. Preference is given for those who have started their doctoral studies in economics or related field and have experience in conducting research.
- Knowledge of economic development and public finance is an asset. Familiarity with tax and benefit systems in developing countries would be beneficial as well.
- Knowledge of statistical or programming software such as Stata, R or SQL is required. Experience in data management and analysis as well as econometrics is desirable.
- An interest in microsimulation would be an asset for candidates with a preference to work in the SOUTHMOD project.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and with high level of resilience.
- Strong ability to establish priorities, multi-task, and work within tight timelines.
- Excellent drafting skills and fluency in both oral and written English; knowledge of French, Portuguese, or Spanish would be an asset.
- Excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills, as well as an ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Readiness to travel internationally.
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organization.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
The monthly remuneration will be EUR 1,832.78 for part-time work (50%).
This is a locally recruited post and no relocation allowance applies. The post is limited to persons residing in Finland, including persons holding a valid work permit. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil service status nor be a ‘staff member’ as defined in the UN Staff Rules and Regulations.
This contract carries no entitlement to paid annual leave or sick leave.
Duration of contract
The work will be performed on a part-time basis (at a 50% rate, i.e. 9 full days worked per month). The work can be performed outside UNU-WIDER premises in accordance with the approved work plan to be agreed later. Based on part-time, the work can be conducted hourly at a minimum of 67.5 hours per month.
General conditions of contracts for the service of consultants apply. The services of a consultant shall be limited to twenty-four months of accrued service within a period of thirty-six calendar months.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Interested applicants should submit their application online through Impactpool and must upload the following documents there:
- A cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position (upload with first name-last name-cover-letter)
- An up-to-date CV (upload with first name-last name-CV)
- A copy of highest educational degree obtained (upload with first name-last name-degree)
- A sample of originally written code in a statistical or programming software (such as Stata .do file, R script or SQL script) (upload with first name-last name-code)