SeNSS Doctoral Training Scholarships and FASS Faculty Studentships Available
See things differently.
Seeing things differently is at the heart of what we do at the University of Surrey. We see things not only as they are, but as they could be. If you are considering a doctoral programme, it means that you see things differently too – yourself in a new career, your passion for your subject, or wanting to be part of changing the world for the better.
At Surrey we have earnt a strong reputation for ground-breaking research in the areas of health, medicine, space, environment and mobile communications. We are currently home to over 1,000 postgraduate researchers, and nearly 450 supervisors, working together across 170+ research areas.
Each has joined us because they are passionate about their subject, want to discover more and have a desire to push the frontiers of knowledge in their area. Committed to recruiting and supporting talented doctoral researchers, we are delighted to be able to offer over 100 studentships for 2018 across a range of disciplines.
PhD Studentship Opportunities in Economics
The School of Economics at the University of Surrey is offering full-time doctoral (postgraduate research) studentships in Economics starting in October 2018. The studentships will cover tuition fees, and provide maintenance for a total of up to £17,000 pa*. Both EU and non EU applicants are eligible.
Our new premium doctoral programme comprises two years of high quality training and two years that focus on independent research. During this four-year doctoral programme you will undertake a structured, supervised programme of scholarly research leading to a thesis that makes an original contribution to knowledge and is of a standard appropriate for publication in high-quality refereed journals.
Our PhD programme aims to provide training to students wishing to pursue an academic career or a career at the research units of Central Banks, Government and International bodies.
The first two years are focused on course work with the first year providing fundamental training in Microeconomics, Macroeconomics and Econometrics. The second year offers several advanced and topic-specific courses which allow specialisation. The last two years are dedicated to research work, leading to a dissertation, under the guidance of a chosen supervisor and co-supervisor.
Areas of Study
The specific project objectives will be determined by the area of research that is agreed between the successful candidate and the School of Economics. We are looking to recruit exceptional doctoral (PhD) students whose research interest complement our areas of research strength.
Successful candidates will normally have achieved, or be expected to achieve, a first class (1st) Bachelor’s degree. We will also consider students holding a Master degree in Economics, or a related subject. Applicants should also take the GRE exam. Only the ‘Quantitative Reasoning’ part of the GRE test is compulsory. Applications without evidence of GRE (Quantitative reasoning) will not be considered.
There are two types of scholarships available for this programme. SeNSS Doctoral Training studentships and FASS Faculty studentships.
Deadline for PhD application to be considered for the SeNSS studentship 4pm 21 January 2018. But we strongly encourage candidates interested in this scholarship to apply as soon as possible.
- ESRC SeNSS Doctoral Training Partnership studentships: As a member of the South East Network for Social Sciences (SeNSS) Doctoral Training Partnership, the University of Surrey invites applications for Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) studentships (stipend and fee waiver). Overseas, EU and UK students are all eligible for a full award in Economics. For eligibility criteria see http://senss-dtp.ac.uk/apply-1.
All applications for this ESRC studentship scheme will also be considered for the internal studentships.
For further details and info please enquire to Prof. Valentina Corradi: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for PhD application to be considered for the FASS Faculty Studentship 4pm 18 March 2018
- Faculty Studentship: these university-funded studentships are available for top-quality Home or International students, covering tuition fees at the Home/EU rate and maintenance at current research-council rates for a total of up to £17,000 per annum for a full-time PhD. Overseas candidates are welcome to apply for the internal studentship.
For further details and info please enquire to Dr. Cristiano Cantore: email@example.com
How to Apply for a Studentship:
- To be considered for a studentship, you first need to apply for a PhD at the University of Surrey via our Economics programme page
- Application without evidence of GRE (Quantitative reasoning) will not be considered.
- There is no need to contact any potential supervisors nor to submit a research proposal for the application.
- The latest you can apply and be considered for an ESRC SeNSS studentship is 4pm 21 January 2018. Applications for internal studentships are open until 4pm 18 March 2018.
- Invited for interview.
- If accepted, you will be invited to complete a studentship application if applying to the ESRC scheme. If you are applying for the FASS faculty studentships in Economics there is no need to complete any specific application. All candidates that will apply by the deadline of the 18th of March 2018, providing all the documentation requested, will automatically be considered for the scholarship.
For full programme information and information on how to apply, please email: