The climate needs bright minds. The Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK) addresses crucial scientific questions in the fields of global change, climate impacts and sustainable development. It is one of the world's leading research institutions in its field and offers natural and social scientists from around the world an inspiring environment for excellent interdisciplinary research.
To strengthen its research on the international dimension of climate change mitigation in the newly established FutureLab “CERES: Political Economy for Inclusive Wealth Governance and Sustainability”, PIK is offering a
Postdoctoral position on Empirical Research (m/f/d)
(Position number: 46-2022 PostDoc Empirical Researcher)
in the field of data science, starting on 01.03.2023. The position is funded for two years. Remuneration is in accordance with the German public tariff scheme (TV-L Brandenburg), salary group E 13. This is a full-time position with a weekly working time of 40 hours per week.
Applications should have a strong background in data science, ideally both in economic and environmental accounting methods as well as in econometric methods. Knowledge in translating empirical findings to numerical or theoretical modelling is an asset.
- Measuring inequality between countries in resource rents from different goods.
- Development of an empirical foundation for the links between climate change, climate change mitigation and inequality.
- Derive estimates of key variables to be used in theoretical and numerical models.
Graduation (PhD / Dr.) in data science, computer science, economics, physics, mathematics, operations research, environmental sciences or a related field.
- Knowledge of the research areas of statistics, economic accounting, environmental accounting, regional and environmental economics.
- Excellent skills in data science.
- Demonstrated experience in publishing and presenting scientific work.
- Fluency in English.
- The ability to work independently and on your own initiative.
- A methodical and systematic approach.
- Structured and goal-oriented thinking.
- Creativity and openness to new approaches.
- Reliability and a high level of motivation.
- Willingness to travel for work (project meetings, workshops etc.).
- Ability to work in a team.
- The chance to be part of a creative, interdisciplinary team.
- A stimulating working environment in an internationally recognised research institute on Potsdam's beautiful, historic Telegrafenberg campus, a short commuting distance from Berlin.
- Flexi-time and mobile working (up to 40% of your hours).
- A collective pay scheme and associated benefits, as well as a subsidized travel card.
PIK values equality and diversity. We encourage applications without photo. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of ethnic and social origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, care responsibilities, or age. PIK seeks to increase the share of women in scientific positions, and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply. In cases of equal qualification and within the given legal scope, women will be given preference. PIK also encourages applications by parents returning from parental leave.
Please apply by 15.12.2022 directly using our application form.
If you hold an international higher education qualification, please also submit the Statement of Comparability from the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) with your application. In the case that you do not yet have a ZAB Statement of Comparability for your qualification, please be aware that you will need to request this if your application is successful. You can find further information on this website: https://www.kmk.org/zab/central-office-for-foreign-education.html
For further information or to discuss the position, please contact Ms. Janine Platz, Telephone +49 (0)331-288-20910.