The University of Lucerne traces its historical roots to a theological school from the denominational age. It has therefore grown against the same historical background as the universities of Geneva, Lausanne, Bern and Zurich.
However, expansion and redesign did not begin in Central Switzerland until the 20th century: in 1938, the higher educational institution became the Theological Faculty, which in 1970 received academic degrees. In 1978, a university project based on five faculties failed in a referendum.
A new approach was only possible after two decades: the Faculty of Humanities was created in 1993, and in 2000 the population of Lucerne finally approved the University Act by a large majority, thereby advocating the founding of the University of Lucerne. In 2005, the Federal Council decided on Swiss recognition for the University of Lucerne in accordance with the University Funding Act. In September 2011, the University of Lucerne moved into its new main building at Frohburgstrasse 3, right next to the train station and next to the KKL.
The yes in the referendum of November 2014 to the revision of the university law paved the way to a fourth faculty of economics. This started operations in the fall semester of 2016.
Another milestone was the start of the new Department of Health Sciences and Medicine, which reports directly to the Rector, at the beginning of August 2019.